Wednesday, December 7, 2011

It's the most wonderful time of the year

Don't let the picture fool you. This little guy was a holy terror on our trip to Abilene for Thanksgiving. In his defense, he did have an ear infection. But we had a great time with the Denneys and the Thompsons and Lydia's Thanksgiving Turkey wishes came true: indeed, there was a chocolate pie.

But we have moved on to Christmas and for the first time in our marriage
this happened in NOVEMEBER (insert fist pump). Mr. Anti-Clutter, "Take the Christmas Tree down as soon as we throw away the wrapping paper" (otherwise known as Kyle) caved and let us put up the tree the Sunday following Thanksgiving.

I'm gearing up for my one major mail-out a year, so our friend Marcus and his family joined us for dinner a few weeks ago and took some pictures of the Denneys for Christmas cards. Here's some good ones that did not make the cut:
If only my husband would behave like a normal human being, this would have been the one

I like this one too, but since I'm the only showing teeth...

My two favorite guys

And my best girl

Saving the actual Christmas card pic for it's grand reveal via the United States Postal Service (unless you live in my neighbor hood in which case I will save my $.44).

I always love the Christmas season, but this year has been especially fun as we started a new family tradition. We're going through a very simple family devotional (A Meaninful Christmas) each evening and Lydia's hanging a corresponding ornament on the tree (thanks Natalie and Jessica for our introduction to this tradition).

As soon as we put Hank to bed Lydia asks us to "join her in the living room with hot chocolate, if you please" and we spend 5 minutes talking about what we're really celebrating. Lydia is very excited about it, constantly asking if it's almost time for Hank to go to bed. She also likes to tell all of our visitors what each of the ornaments teaches about Christmas.

Seven days in and I'm totally sold on this tradition. I'm even planning on ordering 2 more of these devotionals and making ornaments for the kids when they grow up to share with their families...I realize I'm a freak. Maybe I'll just order the devotionals and wait a decade or 2 to make the ornaments:)

The bottom line is, I feel like we're really celebrating the birth of Jesus and building family memories with our kids. Ok, maybe Hank is not benefiting from it this year, but he'll be included once he stops trying to eat the ornaments and pine needles.

No comments:

Post a Comment